2019 Official Tournament Information
Our 2nd Annual Hookup Baits Tournament will be held October 5, 2019. This year is going to be bigger and better than ever! Great awards, prizes, raffle items and fun for all! All profits from the tournament will go towards the HUB GROM Program and to help get more of our Veterans out on the water!
What a great day for a tournament! We are so proud of these tournament winners. Here are the 2019 Tournament standings:
Rock and Dock Division
- Cash Troop – 40.5
- Wyatt Kirkendall – 38.00
- Max Sipes – 35.75
- Tom Troop – 45.75
- Roger Stern – 37.00
- No entry/Award of cash and prizes raffled off
Kayak/Float Tube/Paddle Board Division
- Jackson Howard – 40.00
- Tanner Cummings – 39.25
- Devin Tear – 10.25
- Danny Jones – 46.25
- Dan Corey – 43.00
- Darrell Sander – 39.75
- Ain’t Got a Clue – 58.75
- The Glenn’s – 54.00
- Patrick Sommers Team – 53.25
- Brenden Robeson 92 ft
Saturday, October 5th, 2019
2580 Ingraham Street, San Diego, CA 92109
Times / Schedule
- Check-in: 4:45a – 6:00a
- Start: Safe Light – Approx. 6:15a
- Casting Contest: 1:00p – 2:00p
- End: 1:30p – Photo(s) of Measured Fish & Biggest Fish Weigh-In
- Lunch: 12:00p – 2:00p
- Raffle: 2:00p – 3:00p
- Awards: 3:00p – 4:00p
Three (3) Divisions
- GROM (17 and Younger)
- Adult ( 18+)
- Boat Team (team of 4 – Grom and Adults included as team)
Two (2) Categories
- Kayak/Float Tube/Paddle Board
- Groms: $25
- Groms (17 and younger) may sign up the day of the event, however we do encourage everyone to sign up online when registration is available so that we can be sure to have a shirt and your size available.
- Adult Anglers: $50
- Boat Teams: $100
- Up to 4 people
- Side Jackpot Biggest Fish Caught: $50
- Individual entry for all divisions
* Note: Tournament fees are not refundable unless tournament is canceled.
Official Recap Video from 2018
Our 2018 Inaugural Hookup Baits tournament was a huge success! See more below. Thank you to all who participated, sponsored, volunteered and helped to make it such an awesome event! Check out the official recap video by one of our superfans, Brian Auer.
Two (2) raffle tickets will be put in each participates bag. More will be available to purchase at check in and throughout the day! All raffle monies collected will go to support the HUB GROM Program as well as getting more wounded Vets out fishing.
Raffle tickets will be sold as individually or in bundle discount.
- $2.00 / 1 ticket
- $10.00 / 7
- $20.00 / 15
- $50.00 / 30
- $100.00 / 75
Facebook Live (video): Tournament Information
Here is this year’s Facebook Live session to answer any and all questions sent our way! Hopefully this will help clarify things before the tournament.
Q: I already signed up for the tournament but didn’t participate in the jackpot. Can I still participate in the jackpot and how do I pay?
A: It is not too late to sign up for the jackpot if you have already registered for the tournament. To enter the Jackpot is $50 and it can be paid at registration via cash or credit card the day of the event. You will receive a wrist band indicating you have paid for the Jackpot.
Q: I am a member of the Freedom Boat club. Can I use one of their boats for the tournament?
A: Please check with Dan, the owner of Freedom Boat Club in San Diego for availability and clearance to use their boats. There are no restrictions for using their boat or an other rental boat as long as it is inspected at registration. If your boat is not trailered their will be a tournament judge at the launch ramp to inspect your vessel for clearance.
Q: Can we sign up for the tournament the day of the event?
A: Yes, however we can not promise there will be tournament shirts available in your size. Cash or credit card will be accepted as payment.
Q: Is it too late to sign up to add a tournament shirt?
A: No. For those who signed up for a tournament shirt prior to 9/27/2019 your shirt has been ordered. We did order a few extra’s of each size so you may purchase a shirt the day of the tournament for $10.00 based on availability.
Q: Will there be a GROM and Adult prize for the boat division?
A: No. Boat team includes all ages for boat team. Captain of the Boat is responsible for dividing all cash winnings.
Q: What bass are we targeting for the tournament?
A: Calico, Spottie and Sand Bass.
Q: Does the Jackpot include the bass?
A: No. Only legal game fish. No bass, rays or sharks.
Q: Who do I call in the event of an emergency?
- 1st call the Coast Guard
- 2nd call 911
- 3rd contact Tournament Director on Channel 65. It is recommended to keep Channel 65 on at all times during the tournament. We recommend all motorized and non-motorized vessels have a VS radio on hand.
Q: How do we submit our 3 longest bass lengths to the tournament judges?
A: Photos of all Bass must include your wristband and use of a clearly marked fish measuring device. Wristbands will be given out the day of the event. Submit to the judges in person your (3) longest Bass photos. It is your responsibility to select the top three photos and once the measurements have been logged in by the judges there are no changes.
Q: When does registration open?
A: 4:45am to 6:00am
Q: Do we have to launch our vessel at Dana Landing?
A: Once your vessel is inspected by a tournament judge and you have received a tournament ribbon for your vessel you are free to launch anywhere within the tournament boundaries.
Q: What time is the latest we can submit our photos to the judges?
A: On or before 1:30pm. A tournament judge will decide those who are in line made the deadline time. Anyone that comes thereafter will not be considered.
Q: What time is the latest we can submit our biggest fish (non-bass)?
A: On or before 1:30pm. A tournament judge will decide those who are in line made the deadline time. Anyone that comes thereafter will not be considered. A tournament judge will be available at the Dana Landing dock to weigh in your biggest fish. No bass, rays or sharks.
Q: What paperwork do I need to bring to registration?
A: It is the responsibility of all anglers to have current CA fishing license with them during the tournament. Any boat must provide at registration a copy of current registration and insurance on the vessel before boat will be released for the tournament.
Q: How do we buy raffle tickets? How much are raffle tickets?
A: (2) Raffle tickets will be available in each angler bag you receive at registration. You can also purchase raffle tickets at any time during registration or throughout the day up to 2:15pm. Raffle will begin at 2:30pm. View Raffle info here.
Q: Do all anglers have to check in at registration and does this include all team members for the boat division?
A: Yes. All anglers must sign release forms to receive their wristbands for the tournament.
Q: What is the cut off time to register online?
A: Friday, October 4th 4:00pm.
- This is a bass tournament (Calico, Spottie and Sand Bass) with a Jackpot for the Biggest Game Fish. Bass are not included for Jackpot.
- Photos of all Bass must include your wristband and use of a clearly marked fish measuring device. Wristbands will be given day of event during registration.
- All Bass must be a minimum of 14″ for Boat Team Only.
- Any size Bass for all Grom and Adult Divisions may be submitted to judges.
- Mouth must be closed on Bass when taking photo. Any photos of Bass with an open mouth will not be considered. If the month is open on the Bass, a ¼” deduction will be taken from the length for a deduction.
- Submit, in person, to the judges your (3) longest Bass photos. It is your responsibility to select the three photos and once the measurements have been logged by the judges there are no changes.
- There will be two judges reviewing your submitted photo to assure rules have been followed and accuracy.
- Big Fish Jackpot is any legal game fish weighed in at Dana Landing dead or alive. No Bass, Rays or Sharks.
- Boat entries may have up to (4) persons on the vessel. No spectators allowed on the boat. All ages are part of the same team (Grom and Adult).
- Wristbands must be worn at all times during the day of the event.
- Boundaries are Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, Coastal from La Jolla to Mexican Border. Vessels must launch from Dana Landing due to inspection of vessel.
- 100% Artificial baits only. NO LIVE BAIT or CHUMMING!
- All participants under the age of 18 that are on the water must register, have a parent sign a consent form and an adult must be present while on the water at all times.
- The Casting Contest is for GROM only (17 and under) and FREE to those who come by and want to participate. Wristbands will be required.
- Groms (17 and younger) may sign up the day of the event however we do encourage everyone to sign up online so that we can be sure to have a shirt and your size available.
- Cash prizes for each division will be given 1st-3rd. In the event of a tie the tournament judges will review the time of check-in to determine the winner of the division. If both anglers were checked-in at the same time, the tournament judges will review the 1st, 2nd and 3rd longest bass for final decision of winner. All tournament decisions are final. Any questions regarding the winners of the tournament must be brought to the attention of the Tournament Director before winners are announced.
- Big Fish Jackpot is a separate entry for each individual of $50.00 regardless of division.
- Big Fish Jackpot must be weighed in or you must be in line by 1:30pm. A tournament judge will decide those who are in line made the deadline time. Anyone that comes thereafter will not be considered.
- Measured Bass photos must be in line by 1:30pm. A tournament judge will decide those who are in line made the deadline time. Anyone that comes thereafter will not be considered.
- Tournament may be delayed or canceled due to weather or unsafe conditions.
- Once you have received your registration packet, wrist band and inspection of your vessel you are free to launch your vessel. A tournament judge will be onsite to inspect each vessel attaching a colored ribbon signifying you are in the tournament and inspection is complete.
- There will be (2) raffle tickets included in each registration packet. We have lots of great prizes in the raffle again this year so you can purchase additional raffle tickets during check in/registration or throughout the day up to 2:15pm. Raffle will begin at 2:30pm.
- Lunch will be served to all tournament anglers from 12:00pm-2:30pm.
- Awards and prizes will be announced after raffle around 3:00pm-4:00pm.
- Additional rules to follow before tournament day.
- All profits from the tournament will go towards the HUB Grom Program and to help get more of our Veterans out on the water!
- During registration all boats must provide a copy of current insurance for the vessel before wristbands will be given out.
- All anglers are expected to have current CA fishing license to present day of the event as well as on them at all times while fishing.
- All water vessels (boats, kayaks, float tubes and paddle boards) are to be inspected by a tournament judge before launching. If an angler is found fishing in/on a vessel that does not have the tournament ribbon they will be disqualified.
- Life jackets must be worn by any angler under the age of 13 while on the water at all times regardless of vessel (kayak, paddle board, boat, or float tube).
- It is the responsibility of each angler participating in the HUB tournament to abide by all Coast Guard and Safety rules while on the water. Any angler that does not will be disqualified from the tournament.